Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Year of Blogging: November 8, 2011

November 8 was 'Cook Something Bold' day. I also saw it referred to as 'Cook Something Bold and Pungent' Day. The idea is to fill your home with warm, homey odors, especially for those of us who live in northern climates and have closed up our houses against winter's chill. I do not consider odors which are pungent to also be homey or warm. 'Pungent' is defined as 'having an intense flavor or odor; acrid'. (Acrid is sharp, biting, or harsh). Suggestions I saw for Cook Something Bold day included using garlic and or Limburger cheese. I don't know, maybe I'm odd- but these are the last odors I want filling the house when I can't open the windows! When I think of pungent, I think of the way the house smells when we make pickles or relish. It smells like onions and vinegar for days. And that's even in the middle of the summer when we can open the windows! I wouldn't want to smell that when it's too cold to open the windows. If I were going to cook something to fill the house with scent, I would go for pleasant aromas. Something with comforting spices like cinnamon or nutmeg. Maybe some pure vanilla extract. The smell of fresh chocolate chip cookies. Or possibly even something with apples. To me, these scents are comforting. I feel wrapped in warmth by these scents. And that's what I want when the house is closed up- not something that smells for days!

1 comment:

  1. Frankly, just cooking is bold enough for me, hahaha!! And I hate it when some food stuff smells so intense that every room reeks of it for a day. I mean, some smells are fine, but others, not quite. Cookies? Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete