Friday, November 18, 2011

A Year of Blogging: November 17, 2011

November 17 is 'Electronic Greeting Card' day. I have to say, I've really stopped sending e-cards because there were so many cases of viruses attaching to them. I used to send quite a lot- and possibly while I was sending e-cards the price of Hallmark stock dropped! About 10 years ago, I was a Platinum rewards card holder at Hallmark. One of the things about having a big family- there are a lot of occasions to celebrate. And I don't even send cards to every Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin! When Hallmark came out with their card software, I bought the software and started making my own cards. Now I do about half and half. Sometimes I make my own cards, sometimes I buy them. I love to send cards. I love to receive them too. I am like my Mom in that respect. She will read every card in the store looking for the perfect card. My sister is more of a 'pick and go' person- she walks to the 'Grandma' section, picks a card, gives it a quick scan and puts it in her basket. Mom and I read the whole card, think about it, put it back and try the next one. I want it to be meaningful and to sound like me. (Which is one of the reasons I sometimes make the cards.) For example, I don't buy cards for my Mom that say 'Mother'. I have never called her Mother. She is Mom. So the card has to say Mom. You will often find me in the Hallmark store tearing up as I read cards. A few weeks ago I went into Hallmark for my 'end of the year crunch'. I handed the cashier a big stack of cards, and she said 'Oh, this must be for several months'. I told her it would get me through November and December. She couldn't believe it. I was a little surprised that buying about a dozen cards was considered a lot at Hallmark! A good way to celebrate today would be to send a greeting to someone. You can send an e-card or actually mail one to them. We've got to keep the post office in business, after all!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that you could sent e-Cards through the Hallmark site for free, but then they changed that and I think now you need to pay for most? Haven't checked for a while though, so maybe there are even more changes. They had a great variety though and Hallmark definitely seemed safe to me. Though I am really skeptic about any attachments to e-mails these days and I usually don't open anything *lol* not even (or especially *cough*) when Ann sends me something ...

    ReplyDelete