Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Year of Blogging: November 26, 2011

November 26 is 'Cake Day'. That's a tasty day, especially when we're all so sick of eating leftover pie from Thanksgiving. I like cake. There are many kinds of cake. You could have a spice cake, a chocolate cake, a coffee cake, or a fruitcake. I couldn't choose just one cake as my favorite. I love the carrot cake my mom makes. The recipe was my great-Aunt Vivian's. Aunt Vivian was my Grandma Wager's younger sister. People paid her to make cakes for their special occasions. Later, she built and ran a restaurant across the road from her brother's saw mill. The restaurant was called The Pink Rose. There are still people who talk about her cakes, and about my great-grandmother's pies. I also like chocolate cake. Then again, there's very few chocolate items I don't like. I like strawberry cake or cherry chip cake. Both were special kinds of cake Mom often made for my birthday. There's something special about coffee cakes. They make me think of the coffee hour at Grandma's church. It was always a special treat to go to church with Grandma, because after the service we went across the road to the hall for coffee hour. The women of the church made the most amazing baked goods, including coffee cakes. All this thinking about cake makes me hungry. And all I have is leftover pie!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy, cake is a wonderful invention! Especially chocolate cake!! I'm starting to drool, thank you very much, Amy!

    ReplyDelete