Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Year of Blogging: November 6, 2011

November 6 is 'Marooned Without a Compass' Day. If you are a person who does not have a good sense of direction, or frequently gets lost, then you might feel right at home on this day. Although, in our modern world, how many people still use a compass? Perhaps it should be updated to 'Go Without Your GPS' Day. That would probably freak out a lot of people! Everyone has a GPS these days, even delivery people. I remember Mom and Dad having to give very detailed directions to maneuver through Berlin to their house (which is on a dead-end). Last month, when Mom's washer went out, and she tried to give the store directions, the salesperson told her 'Oh, they'll just put your address into the GPS'. Mom told them that wouldn't work, as their bridge was washed out by Hurricane Irene and you honestly 'can't get there from here'. I don't have a GPS. I do, however, have a very good sense of direction. I always have. Dad has always been so proud that I can find my way out of almost any place. When we went on trips, Dad and I sat down with the atlas and planned our route. I have always been the navigator. My mom preferred to sit in the back seat with my sister, allowing me to sit up front with Dad and navigate. I'm usually very good about figuring out my directions. For example, if I'm on a road driving west and get detoured, I know when I'm heading west again. I do not easily get lost. That isn't to say I've never gotten lost. I have. Usually in cities like Dayton or Cincinnati. When I do get lost, I have to sit for a moment, take a deep breath, and get my bearings. If I think of where I started, I can work through how to get back to where I need to be. Another way to look at today is that it's a chance for you to sit back and relax. Take a break from the rat race. We're entering the busy holiday season, and you may not have much time to just relax. Maybe even turn off your phone and computer, and just veg. You might find that being marooned isn't so bad!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have GPS. Or a compass for that matter. Though I'm pretty good in finding the right way. Most of the time, anyway, ahem!
    Mom on the other hand, if I tell her to close her eyes and turn her around once or twice ... well, she's basically lost then.

    ReplyDelete