Friday, November 11, 2011

A Year of Blogging: November 10, 2011

November 10 is 'Forget Me Not' day. It's a day to remember family, friends, and loved ones. You can use the day to get in touch with people you've lost touch with. This day seems a little less important now that we have Facebook. Over the course of my life, there are a lot of people I've lost touch with. Facebook has helped me reconnect with family, friends from high school, and friends from college. Although, be careful what you wish for. While I know more of what is going on around my hometown, I also know things about other friends and family members that I might not know if we were just say, writing letters back and forth a few times a year. We know the ups and downs, and maybe even learn things about others that's a little concerning. But it is nice catching up with people that I've lost touch with. November 10 is also USMC day. On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress authorized the creation of the Continental Marines. Even though my family is a Navy family, I have always thought that the dress uniforms of the Marines are the best looking. If you know a marine, or see one, thank them. On November 10, 1969; the way children viewed television changed. It was on this day that Sesame Street debuted on TV. I was born 7 years later, and Bert & Ernie, Cookie Monster, and Oscar the Grouch were part of my childhood. We only got one TV station at home, but in the winter sometimes we could sort of tune in PBS. We could hear the show, and knew the big blue blotch in the snow was Cookie Monster, and the yellow one was Big Bird. When we went to my Grandparent's house, we were able to watch Sesame Street as long as we wanted. Sydney didn't really get into Sesame Street. I suppose learning to count from fluffy puppets isn't as interesting as learning Spanish with Dora or Mandarin with Kai-lan. She did enjoy a few Elmo toys. I'm trying again with Drew. I bought him a Cookie Monster toy for Christmas. Cookie Monster remains my favorite Sesame Street character. I find it incredibly sad that he's been PC'd and now has to eat cookies 'only sometimes'. That is just so wrong! When I was in Myrtle Beach last month, I found an ornament of Cookie Monster holding an arm full of gingerbread cookies. I thought it was cute, Erich thinks it's disturbing because all the gingerbread cookies are smiling, and you just know Cookie Monster is going to eat them. As much as I love Cookie Monster, Big Bird always got on my nerves! And now that the song is in my head, here it is for your own journey down memory lane:
Sunny day, sweepin' the clouds away On my way to where the air is sweet. Can you tell me how to get how to get to Sesame Street?

1 comment:

  1. I swear I haven't forgotten you, Aaaaaaaamy!!!
    *head still hanging in shame, yet things look a bit more sunny already*

    ReplyDelete