Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Year of Blogging: November 3, 2011

November 3 is 'Sandwich Day'. Sandwiches are a lunch staple for many people. In our house, sandwiches are eaten any time. Erich eats a lot of sandwiches. We go through a couple of loaves of bread a week, and it's just the two of us. Granted, the bread we buy only has about 20 slices per loaf, but still, that's a lot of bread. When I was in school, I didn't take sandwiches. I did in elementary school, but not in high school when I was old enough to make my own decisions. I like fresh sandwiches. I don't like sandwiches that are pre-packaged, or have been hanging out for a while. In high school I took crackers, fresh fruit, maybe a pudding. But never a sandwich. As an adult, I have decided that some nights it is perfectly fine to have a sandwich for dinner. We have a lot of variations of sandwiches. There are cheese steaks on hoagy rolls, turkey melts on sourdough, pizza burgers on hamburger rolls. Sometimes I fix a cold sandwich and then put it in the oven for a different taste. It's a good thing Erich likes sandwiches! One of my favorite things to order out is a turkey club. At home, it depends on my mood. I like to interchange meats and cheeses. Turkey and swiss are a favorite, as long as we have bacon to put on the sandwich. Ham and swiss goes back to my childhood. Then there's the ultimate sandwich: roast beef, cheddar, and thousand island dressing. (I'm like the old lady with the hot sauce who says "I put that **** on everything". Except I do it with thousand island dressing.) And of course, when I want the ultimate in comfort food, it's a grilled cheese sandwich. Have you had dinner yet? If not, make your favorite sandwich and give yourself the night off!

No comments:

Post a Comment