Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Year of Blogging: January 4, 2011

Today is Trivia Day. I love Trivia. I've always loved learning, and it seems I've picked up bits and pieces along the way of a whole lot of things. Although now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever played a game of Trivial Pursuit all the way through. The times I remember playing, it would drag on, and we'd all move on to something else. I enjoy watching Jeopardy, and trying to get the correct answers. I did take the online test a couple of years ago, but never got called. It was the science questions. I never did well in science. I guess I fit the stereotype of girls not doing well in science and not liking science. Yet today I share my life with Erich: Dr. Bloodaxe. He has five degrees, and three of them are in science (2 in geology, one in Chemistry). If we could do Team Jeopardy, he and I would do well. He would get the European History, Science, Political, and Computer questions, and I could handle the US History, Sports, and the Pop Culture ones. We would probably beat Ken Jennings! Well, maybe not. One night I was watching it, and in the course of the night between the Regular Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy Rounds, they had the following categories: NHL, NASCAR, and The Civil War. I ran the categories! It gave me great satisfaction, even if it was just in my living room. In Honor of Trivia Day, I will share some Trivia with you. What is the only location where you can see 3 bends of the Ohio River? 'The Point' at Hanover College, my Alma Mater. Incidentally, this was a question on Jeopardy once. Or so they told us at Hanover. If Hanover sounds familiar to you, perhaps you have watched 'Cheers'. Woody Harrelson is also a Hanover Alum (class of 1983). His character, Woody, is from Hanover, IN. While it's not as bad as it's made out to be on Cheers, it really is kind of in the middle of a bunch of corn fields. Or at least it was when I went there. I haven't been to Hanover in 9 years or so. Did you know the Battle of Bennington in the Revolutionary War did not take place in Bennington, VT? It actually took place in a small town outside of Bennington- Hoosick, NY. This is not far from where I grew up. My great-aunt would take Laura and I to the Bennington Battlefield, in Hoosick, and we'd have a picnic lunch there and just walk the grounds. I could go on and on. I have several books of trivia (what? You're surprised?). Maybe this is why I have trouble sleeping at night- my head is too full of trivia!

1 comment:

  1. There aren't that many games I like playing, but Trivial Pursuit is one of them. Just wished I had the opportunity to play it more often. Maybe we could meet halfway, Amy! On a cruiseship in the Atlantic Ocean, yay!!

    ReplyDelete