Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Year of Blogging: January 19, 2011

Today is Popcorn Day. I hope you will forgive me for not celebrating this day. It's not that I don't like popcorn. I do. It was never one of my most favorite things, but every so often, I liked eating popcorn. If we went to the movies, I might grab a couple of handfuls of my sister's popcorn. My favorite was kettle corn. We discovered it at some craft fair years ago, and I was hooked. Any time I saw it at a festival or craft fair, I bought myself a big bag. While regular popcorn is buttery, this was sweet. It was crispy and covered in sugar- mmm. Not the healthiest option, but certainly a delicious one. I haven't been able to eat popcorn for about six years. I had emergency gallbladder surgery at that time, and since then, I cannot eat whole grains, oats, or corn. I did not know this at first, so once I was able to resume eating regular foods, I made a sandwich on my favorite honey wheat bread; and very shortly afterwards, I was incredibly sick. It took me a while to figure out what was causing it. Eventually I realized oats and corn products were on my list too. I kept forgetting, though. Then I bought a bag of kettle corn and almost instantly regretted it. I miss eating whole wheat bread and cereal and oatmeal. I have to be very careful when I go out to a restaurant. If I'm ordering a sandwich, I ask what kind of bread or bun is part of the sandwich. I know some people think I'm a very picky eater. I have to be- because making a wrong choice leaves me ill for at least a day. So I'll celebrate popcorn day with some ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. I rarely have popcorn myself. The last time must have been years ago at the cinema. Not going there too often with the ticket prices being so high, but I digress ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been to movies more in the past two 1/2 years than I had in probably ten years prior to that- Sydney loves to go, so we take her there a lot.

    ReplyDelete