Friday, January 21, 2011

A Year of Blogging: January 21, 2011

Today is Hugging Day. I could use a hug today. I would also like to be able to give my Dad a hug today. I think he could use it. My Grandmother finally came home on Wednesday. She hasn't been home in about six weeks. She had surgery December 6 and was in the hospital until the week before Christmas, when she was transferred to a nursing home/rehab center. She's been there ever since. The family was happy to have her home, even though it meant everyone needed to pitch in and take turns being there with her. But Grandma wanted to be home, and she wants to die at home. So at least it felt like she was where she wanted to be. Today the visiting nurse came, and deemed the house unsafe for Grandma. She said Gram should not have been released from the nursing home. So she was headed back to the hospital today, and is being re-admitted to the hospital. They have to re-admit her to the hospital so that she can go back to rehab. One step forward and several steps back. And the drama continues. All the while, her precious time dwindles. Anyway, I didn't mean to bring everyone down. Back to hugging. I have gotten more affectionate as I've gotten older. As a kid, I used to tell my dad I couldn't give him kisses or hugs because I had to make more. I then took my Tupperware dishes, mixed up hugs and kisses, and gave him some. I was surprised to hear Sydney tell him the same thing. I never told her that, so I don't know where she picked it up. I still am not really big on kissing, but I've gotten better at hugging. A hug can be welcoming, it can be comforting. When there are no words, there are still hugs. My favorite hugs are Sydney hugs. She has recently started giving bear hugs. She runs into my arms, wraps her arms around my legs as tightly as she can, and squeezes. Every time she does this, I feel love pouring over me. It feels like my troubles disappear instantly. I imagine Drew will give even bigger bear hugs, because he's already a very strong little guy. I may have to wear padding when he starts hugging me!

2 comments:

  1. I could do with a hug myself ... *squeeze* there you go, long distance hugs are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* to you! Distance doesn't diminish the feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete