Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Year of Blogging: January 1, 2011

January 1 is New Year's Day. Everyone around the world knows that. Apparently, we are all so busy celebrating New Year's Day that we don't bother assigning another 'unofficial' name to the day. My family was never really big about going out for New Year's Eve. We usually had a quiet night at home, maybe Mom & Dad had a few friends over, but it was never anything wild. I always thought it would be fun to get dressed up and go to an elegant party. I did that once with my ex-boyfriend. I bought a very pretty ball gown, got my hair done, and we went to Columbus. We spent the night at a hotel, and attended the party in the hotel ballroom. I felt so elegant, so pretty, and so out of my element. My dress was a sapphire blue. It had spaghetti straps, a fitted bodice that had sequins on it, and then a full skirt with layers and layers of crinoline. I went to the salon and had my hair put up in pins and curls. I even painted my nails-a truly rare occurrence in my life. We did dance some, but I really don't enjoy dancing. As we sat at this party, I kept thinking I couldn't wait to get out of my corset style bra. We had plans to go the following year as well, and I bought this black velvet dress that hugged every curve I have. It was still a long dress, it had a lace train that swept the floor. The dress was cut low on top and high up the leg. It was really quite a daring dress, and I think I was relieved when we broke up in the fall, because I don't know that I'd have ever had the nerve to wear such a sexy dress. I don't know what I was thinking the day I bought it! Now, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day seem to be just like any other day for us. Erich and I are not party animals, we are much more solitary creatures. We were both up until after midnight last night, but we just got caught up in whatever we were doing and lost track of time. New Year's Day is also my Grandpa Primeau's birthday. Today he is 85 years old. Dad said the family was going to Grandma's nursing home for a pizza party. When I saw him last month, he didn't seem that old. But he has looked pretty much the same all my life; just a few more lines on his face, or more of a slowness to his walk. He still drives, although in truthfulness he probably shouldn't. He doesn't hear so well, and lately all of his focus is on taking care of Grandma. He has lived longer than either of his parents did, his father died at 78 and his mother at 77. He has already buried his older sister, and countless friends. I don't know how many years he has left, but I know I'll always think of New Year's Day as his birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment