Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Year of Blogging: January 25, 2011

Today is Opposite Day. All I can think of is 'Opposites Attract'. When I was younger, I was struck by how completely opposite my Grandparents were. I even told my parents once that my Grandparents were mismatched- Grandpa Primeau is a very strong personality. He can be beligerent, and is always very forceful. Grandma Primeau on the other hand is usually very meek. On Mom's side of the family, it was the opposite. Grandma Wager was the strong personality, very independent. Grandpa Wager was a very calm, gentle soul. My mother said 'Yes, but could you imagine your Grandpa Primeau and Grandma Wager together?' and that thought was very funny. Two bulls in a china shop funny. I guess it is true that opposites attract, but I don't think you have to be complete opposites. Erich and I have some similar interests- reading for one. We are both intellectuals. Stupidity irritates us. Yet he is more science driven and I am more history and English. Our tastes in music, movies, books are worlds apart. He grew up in the city, in a small family. I grew up in the country and have an extended family that now numbers nearly 60 people. He is quiet and I'm a chatterbox. Our political and religious views are so far apart, they aren't even on the same spectrum. Yet somehow all of it works for us. Perhaps if you are too much alike, there's not enough different to spark your interest. Yet, if you are too different, you have no common ground. Cheers to everyone who found the balance between being clones of each other and being from other planets!

1 comment:

  1. I guess in the end it's all about how you make those differences work for you. In some cases it's the jackpot, in others a disaster.
    Generally I'd say common ground is more important than the whole opposites attract thing.

    ReplyDelete