Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Year of Blogging: January 15, 2011

Today is Hat Day. We used to have Hat Day in high school. I think it was part of 'spirit' week. Each day had a different theme. The last day (I think? Someone might correct me- many of my high school memories have been suppressed) was 'Green and Gold' day. Our school colors were green and gold (I know, beautiful, right? I was so thrilled when I got to Hanover and found out their colors were red, blue, and white). Then there was a pep rally. I forget which sport we were getting enthused about. Basketball? As I said, the high school memories are kind of foggy. I liked to wear outrageous hats for Hat Day. Most of the year, I am not a hat person. I used to wear hats when I went to the races with my dad, but that was partly for protection from the sun. Plus, race days were always 'no fuss' days- no matter how girly you were, you didn't fuss on race day. So putting a hat on my head was one way to make sure I wasn't playing with my hair all day, looking in mirrors every chance I got. I still don't wear hats very often. I have a big straw hat I wear when I'm going to be in the sun. I look like a dork, but it keeps the sun off me. I will be 70 years old and still have this very pale skin. Occasionally I will wear a baseball hat, and at Christmas I sometimes wear a Santa hat. That is the extent of my hat wearing. I remember the hat I wore for hat day one year. It has probably been 20 years, but I still remember the hat. I bought it at Disney World. It was so outrageous, it was funny. I saw it, and just had to have it. This same year, my sister bought one of those leashes that moves like it has a dog on it, but it is just an empty leash. I walked around my grandparents cul-de-sac wearing my hat, and Laura walked her 'dog'. One of the neighbors actually asked my grandmother if Laura was 'special'. No, just trying to turn heads! I couldn't find a picture of me wearing this hat, but I have this great picture of my Grandpa wearing it. Not only is he wearing it, he's being a total goofball. I laugh every time I see this picture.

2 comments: