Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Year of Blogging: May 31, 2011

May 31 was 'World No Tobacco Day'. The day was created by the World Health Organization in 1987, and first celebrated on April 7, 1988. In 1988, a resolution was passed to have World No Tobacco Day always fall on May 31. The idea is that this day will be used to tell people of the dangers of tobacco. Of course, it is also hoped that this increased awareness would cause people to quit. I think, everyone should have to watch the commercials that New York State puts out. I get to see them when I watch the baseball games on YES, or when I'm at my mom's. The commercials are graphic and disturbing. There's one where someone is squeezing the stuff out of an artery, and telling you this is what builds up while you are smoking. There's also one of open heart surgery. They hit the target for shock value. There are also sad commercials. One that has been playing recently is a young boy, playing catch in the driveway. When the camera pans back, you see he has a glove taped to the garage door, and the voice-over talks about what are you missing by smoking. You're led to believe the boys father died because of his smoking. It is sad. I personally, have never used tobacco, so I don't know how hard it is to quit. This is one time that allergies made me lucky. I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so there was never a chance I was going to try it. And luckily for my parents- I went to one college party, and just the smell of pot made me so sick I went running for the comfort of my dorm. If you do use tobacco, maybe now is a good time to consider quitting. The whole world is pulling for you today!

1 comment:

  1. No Tabacco Day? As if smokers would even listen. Both my parents smoked (and still do) when I was little and maybe that's the reason why I never even once tried a cigarette. They stink. Period.

    ReplyDelete