Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Year of Blogging: June 28, 2011

June 28 is 'Paul Bunyan Day'. Paul Bunyan is a mythical character. He is a lumberjack, who is also a giant. He roams around with his big blue ox, Babe. At least, that is according to the legend. I heard stories about Paul Bunyan and Babe as a child. Paul Bunyan was not only a giant, but he was a terrific lumberjack. We heard stories how his ax cleared the forests in some states. He scooped out the Great Lakes trying to get water for Babe. And according to the legends, the 10,000 lakes in Minnesota were created when Paul and Babe stumbled around in a snowstorm. It has, however, been a while since I've heard the stories. So I did a little research today, and found that some people believe the myth of Paul Bunyan originated with French Canadians in Quebec in 1837. Others think he developed out of an advertising campaign in the twentieth century. As with any myth, the details change based on the story teller. Paul is reported to be anywhere from 8 feet tall to 30 feet tall (earlier accounts have him at the smaller 8') . Babe, his faithful companion is equally proportioned. So stand next to an ox, and then imagine how big that ox would be if you were 30 feet tall. And how much smaller everything else would be! I said it's been a while since I heard any of the stories, but I remember something about Paul Bunyan and Babe and the Northern Lights. I don't remember exactly what it was. I have always associated Paul Bunyan with the Northern Lights. I tried to find this part of the story today, and found reference to a Disney short film on Paul Bunyan. So it is possible that my vision of Paul Bunyan over the years was actually created by the Imagineers at Disney! It is said Paul Bunyan loved pancakes, and could eat 50 pancakes in under a minute. So, if you don't feel like dressing in a red and black plaid shirt, or dragging around a blue ox, maybe the best way to celebrate Paul Bunyan day is by mixing up a big stack of pancakes.

2 comments:

  1. I had to google that fellow. Now I can say for sure that I've neither heard the name nor seen any pictures of him before. Well, learning a new thing every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I'm surprised. It's a story that gets told in the US.

    ReplyDelete