Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Year of Blogging: June 4, 2011

June 4 was 'Old Maid's Day'. This struck me as funny. The origin of Old Maid's Day, according to www.holidayinsights.com came after WWII ended. Many relationships were put on hold during the War, and many men didn't return. There were a lot of eligible women waiting at home, so socials and dances were held to introduce returning GI's to potential wives. Well, that's how my dad's parents met. Grandpa was back from the service, and attended a dance in Grandma's town. I don't know if it was a dance specifically arranged as a matchmaker though. Old Maid's Day makes me think of my Mom. Yes, my Mom. Mom's sister tells the story that when they were little, they played the card game 'Old Maid'. Supposedly, if you are left with the Old Maid card, then you will be an Old Maid. So my mother hid the Old Maid cards because she was afraid of being an Old Maid. Ironically, it's my Aunt who is the Old Maid. Sydney has the same card game, and she wanted to play with Mom while I was home on one of my many trips. Mom told her they had to remove the Old Maid cards first, because you weren't supposed to play with those. My sister and I laughed. 36 years of marriage and she still won't play with the Old Maid cards! For my feline loving readers, June 4 was 'Hug Your Cat Day'. June is also 'Adopt a Cat Month'. So, if you like cats, and don't have one to hug, visit your local shelter!

1 comment: