Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Year of Blogging: June 5, 2011

June 5 was 'World Environment Day'. Each year, the United Nations sets a theme, and chooses a different part of the world to host the celebration. This year's theme was 'Forests: Nature at Your Service". India played host to this year's events. It's a day to focus on important environmental issues, and this year, that focus is on our forests. I'm not the greenest person. I try to help Mother Earth. I recycle. I use reusable bags at the grocery store. We have planted trees in the yard. But that's about as far as I go. So I really don't have a lot to say on this topic. I spent Monday afternoon playing with Sydney. We were at the park, and her focus was picking up litter. Not the most exciting way to spend a day. She frowned and said 'People are so dirty! They've made a big mess and I have to pick it up!' Thankfully, Aunt Amy had hand sanitizer in her purse! I was proud of her though, for knowing that littering is wrong, and wanting to make her corner of the world a better place. Maybe that's all any of us can hope for- make a small change here, and if everyone does it, we'll leave the world better than we found it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not as green as I could be either. Of course I don't litter or even spit out a gum onto the street, but I'm not exactly turning off lights when leaving a room either.

    ReplyDelete