Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Year of Blogging: June 21, 2011

June 21 was the first day of summer. It is the summer solstice, which is also the longest day of the year. And so we start my least favorite season of the year. I am, without a doubt, a winter person. Give me a cold snowy day over a hot sunny day any time! I don't like to be hot, and you can always add on more clothes. I don't like having to slather myself with sunscreen before going outside for any length of time (which in my pale world, is more than 10 minutes). Ok, I know you are supposed to wear sunscreen all year long, but I don't. I wear it in the summer. I don't like the bugs that come with summer. Bees, mosquitoes, black flies (it's a Northeast thing). I don't like the thunderstorms that pop up after a hot day. I hate that feeling when you walk outside into a humid day and you feel like you can't breathe. And let's not forget my least favorite part of summer: bathing suits. UGH! I own one. And I haven't worn it in a couple of years. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of bathing suit opportunities in my day to day life. But when you think about summer vacations and going to the beach, you've got to have a bathing suit. I don't completely hate summer. I just strongly dislike it. There are some parts that I like. I like that here in Ohio it stays late until almost 10pm. I like sitting out by the fire in the evening. I like cooking on the charcoal grill, and I love the smell that fills the neighborhood when someone else is cooking out. I love the fresh fruits and vegetables. They almost make the heat and humidity bearable. On the plus side, since I usually become more of a homebody than normal in the summer, I get more reading done. I get more crafts done. Well, unless I'm playing on Facebook all night! Enjoy your summer! After all, Christmas is just a little over six months away!

1 comment:

  1. You like winter? Really? So, I'm afraid to say, we might not be twins after all ;-) as I love spring the most, and autumn. I hate the cold and I hate the heat. And don't even get me started on mosquitos ... they love my delicious blood!!!
    What's wrong with bathing suits? Don't you ever go swimming? Granted, I don't go swimming that often either, but I love thermal spas where the water is wonderfully warm which feels marvelous the older you get (yep, too old to enjoy "freezing" temps they often have in normal swimming pools, how sad is that).

    ReplyDelete