Friday, June 17, 2011

A Year of Blogging: June 17, 2011

After pigging out on fudge yesterday for Fudge Day, today we have a balance. It is 'Eat Your Veggies Day'. June 17 is also 'Fresh Veggies Day'. The two are separate days that occur on the same day. I guess someone really wanted to drive the point home! (Probably after eating too much fudge.) One of the things I love about summer is going to the farm stands and getting fresh fruits and vegetables. I like knowing the food is fresh from the garden. I don't like gardening, but I enjoy the fruits of the labor. Plus, it's nice to know where your food came from. I like to support the local families still making a living off the land. I buy cucumbers and make cucumber salad. I buy fresh green beans. Snapping the ends off brings back memories of sitting on the porch as a child, snapping the ends with Mom or Grandma. I also like to buy the new potatoes and cook them on the grill. They are so tender and cook up easily. I eat a lot of salads in the summer. It's easier when you can get fresh vegetables. I also don't like to eat heavy meals when it's very hot out, so many nights I will just make a salad for dinner. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to vegetables- I like what I like. I don't like tomatoes or peas (except snap peas) or eggplant. Of course, I love corn but can no longer eat it. Nothing said summer as a child like fresh corn on the cob. Mom stopped at a farm stand and brought some home, then my sister and I stood by the brook husking it. When we got to the silk, we'd pull it off and toss it over the bank, and on breezy days it would blow back and cling to our legs. Many evenings were spent standing on the side of the brook in the late afternoon sun, husking corn. But I try to make up for the variety by eating what I do like in quantity. Once our cucumbers start coming on in the garden, I'll be eating fresh cucumbers with lunch and dinner, every day. And yes, I'll probably get sick of them. Then come January, when I can't find a decent cucumber in the store, I will long for the days when they are coming out of the garden by the dozen.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is, quite obviously, my kind of day, wouldn't you agree? I'm always pigging out on all the fresh veggies you often won't get at the same quality/price in the winter.
    What I do hate though, is when lettuce is sometimes full with those little plant lice (or whatever they are) and you can wash and wash and those buggers hold on tight. Yuk! Why are they even selling those if they are bug invested??

    ReplyDelete