Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Year of Blogging: June 1, 2011

We've made it to June. We are almost halfway through this experiment. And we have made it to one of my favorite months. I think June is one of my favorites because I'm a June baby. When June 1 rolls around, my birthday is just around the corner. What's not to love about your birthday? June is a month of many celebrations. It is Aquarium Month, Candy Month, Dairy Month, Gay Pride Month, and National Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Month. There are celebrations that make you scratch your head such as 'National Fight the Filthy Fly Month', 'Accordion Awareness Month', and 'Turkey Lover's Month' (which I certainly would have thought would be November. When I think of Turkey, I think of Thanksgiving which is in November- unless you're Canadian). June is also Rose Month, which seems appropriate- as Rose is the flower for those born in June. I feel very lucky to have a June birthday. It's between spring and summer. Mud season is past, but it's nice enough to wear shorts and sandals. You can have birthday parties outside (well, unless you are Little Rain Cloud and it rains on your parties). In New York, school lets out near the end of June. I could still have birthday celebrations in school. Flag Day falls in June (another of my favorites). It seems to be the best time! June's birthstone is the Pearl. You can substitute Moonstone or Alexandrite for the Pearl. The substitutes are a pinky-purple, although Alexandrite can come in many colors, and can change colors. I like that it's dynamic: like me. But I love pearls. Pearls are very fragile, so you have to be careful with them. I wasn't allowed to have them as a child. I think I was 12 or 13 before I had my first set of pearls (other than my baby pearls, which were put up). I asked my grandparents for pearls for my birthday. I received a necklace and bracelet set that was a double strand of freshwater pearls with gold braided between the pearls. I also received a 'real' set of pearls. I felt so sophisticated and grown up! The birth flower for June is the Rose. My favorite flowers! I wonder- if my favorite flowers are roses because I was born in June, or if it's just a coincidence. For years, my parents gave me pink roses for my birthday. Even as young as 10, I was getting roses for my birthday. Sometimes it was an arrangement with pink roses added to it, and sometimes it was a bouquet of just roses. My mother has continued it, if I'm not in NY for my birthday, I get flowers delivered to my house or work. If I'm in NY, she has flowers in my bedroom. I love the little things that turn into traditions! Yes, it was good to be a June baby. Roses and pearls. Some of my favorite things. Of course, I don't know if the males born in June think it's as wonderful! Today, June 1 is Dare Day. It's a day to dare yourself or someone else. It's also Flip a Coin Day. If you have a decision to make, just flip a coin! I'm looking forward to seeing the wonderful things we will celebrate in June (my birthday not excluded!).

1 comment:

  1. I love September, probably because I'm a September baby or maybe because it's perfectly between hot summer days and cooler autumn days. June isn't all that bad either, then again, we already have temps and humidity like it was July and these were some tropical island, without a breeze.

    Dare Day? No that sounds awesome, but as I read abou it only now I guess I missed it. Anyway, I'll make the rest of the month a Dare Month. Fair enough.

    ReplyDelete