Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Year of Blogging: June 11, 2011

June 11 was King Kamehameha Day. It is a public holiday in Hawaii. I have to admit, I know nothing about this day. So I started doing some research (ok, a Google search) to find out more about it. King Kamehameha Day was first established in 1871 by King Kamehameha V to honor his grandfather, King Kamehameha I. King Kamehameha I was the first to establish the unified kingdom of Hawai'i in 1810. He was the first King of Hawaii. The first King Kamehameha Day was held on June 11, 1872. It was also one of the first days to be proclaimed a holiday once Hawaii gained statehood in 1959. According to Wikipedia, King Kamehameha's full name was Kalani Paiʻea Wohi o Kaleikini Kealiʻikui Kamehameha o ʻIolani i Kaiwikapu kaui Ka Liholiho Kūnuiākea . And I was having a hard enough time typing Kamehameha! King Kamehameha I is known for uniting the islands, and for keeping them independent from colonial rule. He did not allow non-Hawaiians to own land. His Kingdom of Hawai'i mostly retained its' independence (except for a brief five month British Occupation in 1843) until it was annexed by the United States in 1898. When King Kamehameha I died in 1819, his body was hidden by close friends according to Hawaiian custom. Even to this date, nearly 200 years later, his exact burial spot remains unknown. Parades are held all over Hawaii for King Kamehameha Day. The celebration lasts two days, and is a time of ancient rituals and traditions. I've never really had a desire to go to Hawaii, but I think it would be beautiful to visit for King Kamehameha Day.

1 comment:

  1. I guess it's safe to say that this guy probably had trouble remembering his own name even before he was completely senile. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete