Friday, September 30, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 30, 2011

September 30 is 'Mud Pack Day'. Mud packs were once the masque of choice for facials. It is supposed to keep your skin young, soft, and supple. I don't know if they work. I've never had one. I'm a girly girl. Well, I always was. I don't like getting dirty. Putting mud on my face just doesn't appeal to me. I also have sensitive skin, so I avoid facials altogether. We all have our beauty secrets though. Women sometimes share the secrets with each other. My college roommate/former best friend shared a tip with me when we were sophomores, and I still think it's the best beauty secret. She used (Oil of)Olay daily on her face as a moisturizer. I thought (Oil of)Olay was for older women, certainly not for 19 year olds! She said her mother had been using it for years, it was supposed to help keep you younger looking and reduce wrinkles. I tried it, and really liked that it was light on my skin but kept my skin from drying out. I have been using it every day since I was about 19. I believe it works. I've noticed that other women my age have lines around their eyes. I obsess about this, I have to admit. After having dinner with high school or college friends, I peer into the mirror examining my eyes from all angles. I am not afraid of getting old, I'm just not ready to look my age! I'd like to think it's the Olay keeping the skin around my eyes so youthful. Perhaps it is just the fact that most of these women have kids, and therefore spend more time worrying or yelling. My sister and I both kind of do the same thing if we run into someone our age who looks so much older. When we are alone we ask the other 'do I look that old?' Ok, so I'm a little vain. Mud packs can be useful for more than just a beauty tip. You can also apply mud packs to bee stings. It will relieve the swelling, stinging and redness. Once it has dried and the sting feels better, you only need to wash off the mud. Of course, I wouldn't recommend getting stung by a bee today just so you could use a mud pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment