Monday, September 5, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 4, 2011

September 4 was 'Newspaper Carrier Day'. This day honors those who bring you the newspaper. Growing up in Berlin, we knew our carrier. If we saw them bringing the paper, they stopped to chat for a little bit. Mom always had a gift for them at Christmas, and made a plate of cookies for them as well. Here in Middletown, Erich and I subscribe to the Dayton paper. We get it on Thursdays and Sundays. Even that seems a little bit of a waste, as I check the paper online every day. But we went ahead and renewed it anyway this year. I've never seen our paper carrier. I don't even know the paper carrier's name. I know it is someone who comes through around 5am and throws the paper at the end of the driveway. They don't even try to get it by the house anymore. We don't get the ads any more, and at least once a month we don't get the funnies in the Sunday paper- a real source of irritation to both of us. Erich only reads the funnies, and I read them after reading all the hard news. It's my reward for being a responsible adult and reading about all the bad things in the world. And then, there are times we don't get the paper at all and I have to call and complain. It makes me miss the days when you could depend on the newspaper carrier, and knew who they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment