Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 9, 2011

September 9 was Teddy Bear Day. Long before little girls start playing with dolls, and little boys start playing with action figures; we have teddy bears. For many children, teddy bears are their first stuffed animal. They are soft and comforting. Most children move beyond playing with teddy bears to other interests. But for some, the lucky ones, they never outgrow their teddy bears. I am one of those people. I have always loved Teddy Bears. As a pre-teen, I was always buying them. I loved to get them for presents. I thought I hit the jackpot when the Baptist Church in town got a new minister. The parsonage is next to our house, and not only did we get fantastic neighbors, but the minister's wife made teddy bears! I bought one of her bears at a local craft fair, and I still have it more than 20 years later. For my sweet 16, my Mom and Dad gave me a little bear wearing a fancy teal dress. She had pearl earrings and a pearl necklace. Some people at the party thought it was a way of Mom and Dad wishing I was still a little girl. No, my parents knew me. I still have that bear too, she's proudly displayed in my bear room. That's right. My bear room. My love of teddy bears turned into a collection of over 400. I haven't bought a bear in at least five years, but I'm still drawn to them. I rotate the bears seasonally (because the bear room now also doubles as a guest room). As I take out the bears for the next season, I remember why I loved certain bears. I know it will sound crazy to say they are my friends, but they are. There's still something comforting about teddy bears. It is a peaceful room for me. I can sit in there and just be. I don't have to do anything. My love of teddy bears introduced me to wonderful friends- mostly women, but a few men- from all over the world. It was the bears that drew us together, but our other interests and shared experiences bonded us. I am closer to most of my bear friends than I am to friends from high school or college. They are some of the most caring people I've ever met. It takes a special person to play with teddy bears past childhood. I'm so proud to call those special people my friends.

2 comments:

  1. YAY that's our kind of day!!!
    Did you know that I was actually pretty old when I started collecting teddy bears, or Boyds bears to be exact? I only ever brought home my first Boyds bear after visiting a friend of mine in PA. That must have been eight or nine years ago. And in recent years, mostly to lack of space, I have significantly reduced buying new ones *sigh* though I did bring home a few from vacation. Not Boyds, but cute nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's ok if they aren't Boyds. We can love them all!

    ReplyDelete