Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 20, 2011

September 20 is 'National Punch Day'. Although it's not clear what that is supposed to mean. Is it a day to drink punch, that fruity drink often found at parties and get togethers? Is it a day to punch someone (which by the way, I would hope it isn't. We have enough problems in the world without people running around punching others.)? Or is it a day to celebrate the tool known as a punch? Since I don't want to promote violence, and know very little about the tool, lets talk about the drink. I might be out of touch, because I don't own a punch bowl. My mother had a nice punch bowl- complete with ladle and matching glasses. I think my sister has it now. Mom made punch for various parties or occasions. In our family, the punch was always non-alcoholic, but you can certainly add alcohol. The punch might contain a mixture of fruit juices or sodas, and it seems ice cream was always required to make a punch. Sometimes you could find pieces of fruit in the punch, kind of as a garnish. I've never really cared for punch. Maybe I'm picky. I like my ice cream separate from soda. I don't like mixing my sodas together. I don't really understand punch. I would think it would be so much easier to set out the two liters of soda and let people drink what they want. Of course, I often avoided punch because orange soda was often used, and I can't drink orange soda because it makes me sick. Unfortunately, if someone made punch, that was often the only drink they were offering. I think, if you're going to make punch, you should still have other offerings for people. I'm sure my friends have punch recipes they'd love to share. Or you can always do a web search. Before the Internet, we had to use Mom's recipe. Mom got her recipe from Grandma. Sometimes, someone Mom worked with would share their family recipe for punch, and then you had two recipes. Now, you could spend hours sorting through all the punch recipes on the Internet.

1 comment:

  1. Who would have guessed that punch can refer to so many things ... my first thought was Christmas punch especially considering how the weather's been really lousy the past few days and only thoughts of gingerbread and hot tea will keep me going (and actually eating/drinking them helps too).

    P.S.: Yay, I'm back, I'm back ... to commenting, anyway!

    ReplyDelete