Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 21, 2011

September 21 was 'Miniature Golf Day'. I like playing miniature golf. I'm certainly much better at it than I am at regular golf. Although, that's not saying very much. But in miniature golf, it doesn't matter if you're bad. The brightly colored balls and strange obstacles give the whole thing kind of a funny feel anyway. So if you end up hitting your ball so hard you clear two or three nearby holes, it just adds to the amusement. I used to play miniature golf a lot. It was one of our family's favorite activities. Even on vacation, we were always quite content to find a miniature golf course nearby. I haven't played in a while. In our family, we always chose our ball color by our favorite colors. Since Mom, Dad, and I all like blue- a couple of us had to use other colors. I had hoped to play it last month when I was in New York with Sydney, but it was raining on the day we were at the ice cream shop that had the mini golf. So we'll have to play it another time. When I went to Hanover, there was a miniature golf course in Madison (the nearby town). It was a popular attraction for Hanover students and an especially good way to blow off steam or stress. In Indiana, miniature golf is called 'putt-putt'. According to Wikipedia, the first miniature golf course was built at St. Andrew's in Scotland in 1867. Women were interested in golf, but the social norms of the day felt that women should not publicly perform the violent acts required for a golf swing. That's the first I've ever heard of a golf swing being considered 'violent'. A special course was constructed for women and had short putting greens. The best way to celebrate this day is to grab a few friends and go for a nice relaxing round of golf. Miniature golf. It's also a great way to enjoy a nice fall afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment