Friday, September 2, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 1, 2011

With the flip of the calendar, we've entered September. My mind worked something like this: this weekend is a three day weekend. In five weeks, I'll be headed to NY for Beth's wedding then to MB to visit with Patricia. About five weeks after that, Mom and Dad will be here for Thanksgiving. And then it will be Christmas! Oh goodness, I've got so much to get done! Three blankets to knit, and I haven't been able to knit for about three weeks. That's it, I've got to kick it into high gear and start knitting every day. Then of course, there's the fall things I need to do. Erich asked when we were going to get apples. I think really what he wanted to know is 'when are we going to get cider donuts?' Of course, getting apples involves driving the half hour to the fruit farm, parking (hopefully not a mile away) and walking to the barn. We look at the apples and pick the ones we want, and of course, add a dozen donuts to our order. Then we drive home, and it's time to do something with the apples. Getting them isn't enough. The apples have to be peeled, cut, and covered with sugar and cinnamon for apple pies, or cooked down into applesauce. The pies are made and put in the freezer uncooked. The apple sauce is put into small containers and also put in the freezer. What is fall without a pumpkin? That's another weekend- driving around to farm stands looking for the biggest, most perfect one to satisfy my inner child. Yes, flipping the calendar to September made me realize the year is almost over, and there's still so much to do. I don't know how I'll have time to celebrate that September is Blueberry Popsicle month. Blueberry Popsicle? That is incredibly specific. Don't try to eat a cherry popsicle- apparently cherry popsicles don't have their own month. I would think they would be much more common than blueberry ones, but what do I know? September is also National Chicken Month. That's an easy one to celebrate, just cook up your favorite chicken dish (except for you, my vegetarian friend. Yes, you!) Maybe you can knock off a couple of celebrations if you cook your chicken with honey, as it is National Honey Month. If you're looking for ways to improve yourself during Self-Improvement Month, you might start with a better breakfast (I'm not sure if Better Breakfast Month means a healthier breakfast, or just a bigger breakfast, which could also be considered 'better'). After you've eaten a better breakfast, find out where the nearest square dancing hall is and give it a whirl. I guess I'm a bit of a dork, but I actually like square dancing. I once tried square dancing with my grandparents and their friends- and let me tell you, I learned a few things. If nothing else, square dancing will give you a chance to celebrate National Courtesy Month! "Bow to your partner!"

No comments:

Post a Comment