Friday, September 2, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 2, 2011

Have you found yourself looking over your shoulder today? Have you been kind of anxious, and just can't figure out why? Perhaps it is because September 2 is 'National Beheading Day'. Yes, you read that correctly. And I have to say, after 8 months of doing this experiment, I've come across all kinds of weird days. This one is without a doubt the weirdest and creepiest. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why today is National Beheading Day. My theory is that perhaps the long, hot days of summer got to someone and they just couldn't take it any more. However, I don't want to hear of any of my readers committing beheadings, or being beheaded! Today is also VJ Day. It was on this date in 1945 that a formal surrender was signed by Japan on the USS Missouri. World War II was finally over. In 1969, the first ATM opened in Rockville Center, NY. I remember in the mid 1980's, ATMs were still more of a novelty. My Mom and her sister both worked for large banks, and the employees were given ATM cards long before the general public received them. We were visiting my grandparents in Florida, and Mom wanted to get money from the ATM (previously, she wrote a check to Grandma, and Grandma cashed it at her bank). I remember, just as clearly as if it were yesterday, Grandma saying "I don't understand how you can get money from a brick wall." It was many years before Grandma got an ATM card, although now that I think about it, I'm not sure she ever did get one. I also remember the first time Dad used the ATM card. He withdrew $100, and was amazed that the machine gave it to him just as he wanted it: five twenty dollar bills. Mom just kind of rolled her eyes. Today there are over one million ATM's in the world, and a new one is added every five minutes. There is even one in Antarctica. It's good to know if you ever plan to travel there, you'll be able to get emergency cash if you need it. Although, I do wonder what you're spending your money on in Antarctica.

No comments:

Post a Comment