Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Year of Blogging: October 1, 2011

Another flip of the calendar and we find ourselves smack dab in the middle of fall. The days are shorter and cooler. It's time for getting apples and pumpkins and raking leaves. I've been busy doing all kinds of things preparing for my upcoming vacation, so my blog has once again been neglected. October gives us a lot of things to celebrate. In the food arena, it is National Seafood month. If, like me, seafood isn't your thing, you could try popping some popcorn for National Popcorn Popping month. Or perhaps you'd rather eat country ham, maybe while enjoying some applejack. That should keep you warm on these chilly fall nights. For my vegetarian friends, this is your month! Enjoy the harvest! And showing that there's something for everyone, October is also National Pizza month and Cookie month. Ahhh, now we're talking! After all that indulgence, we need to take care of our health. We all know October is Breast Cancer awareness month. It is also Diabetes awareness month. In my family, diabetes has affected more of us than breast cancer has. I guess we've been lucky in that way. October is also Lupus awareness month. Finally, October is Domestic Violence awareness month. That's one that is fairly close to me. If you are in a violent relationship, get out! Remember, abuse takes all forms: mental, emotional, and physical. Abuse is never ok. October is Computer Learning Month. You might want to use your computer to check out the benefits of adopting a shelter dog, as October is Adopt a Shelter Dog month (although, if you rescued a cat that would be ok!). Remember to take time to appreciate your Pharmacist and Clergy person this month. And while October is Sarcasm Month, you might want to curb the sarcasm when talking to your Clergy person. As if having their own month isn't enough, October 1 was World Vegetarian Day. I am not a vegetarian. I've never tried to do a vegetarian diet. I'm too much of a meat and potatoes girl. But for my friends who are vegetarians, I hope you enjoyed a very tasty treat on this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment