Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 28, 2011

September 28 was 'Ask a Stupid Question Day'. I am an inquisitive person. If I don't know the answer to something, or the 'how' or 'why', I do not rest until I have the answer. For example, it is not enough for me to know where friends or family work. I want to know what they DO. My sister used to work in clinical research. I asked her 'so what do you do every day?' When she explained it to me, then I understood it. I could very easily tell people that I am in charge of the Domestic Membership for a professional organization for financial planners. But I expand that to tell them I do some marketing, some sales, and a lot of communicating. I believe there are no stupid questions. If you don't ask the questions, you don't have the answers. Sometimes I will say 'I don't mean to be dense' (or I may say dumb), 'but why.... ' and I ask the question. It doesn't make you stupid because you don't know the answer. We can't all know everything! I don't think you are 'stupid' to hold back from asking the question, but I do think you are doing yourself a disservice. Go ahead! Ask the question! If someone laughs at you, have the confidence to laugh along with them. But get your answer. Don't just accept things you don't understand. Investigate, inquire, explore. You never know- there may be someone else who was wanting to know the same answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment