Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 14, 2011

September 14 is 'National Cream-filled Donut' Day. That sounds like a yummy day. In New York, we call a cream-filled donut a Boston Creme. I forget what they are called here in Ohio, but the first time I went into a bakery and asked for one, I got funny looks from the staff. Although, actually, a Boston Creme has the creme (or custard) inside, and chocolate icing on top. I know Dunkin Donuts makes other kinds of cream-filled donuts. They take a jelly donut shell and fill it with either a vanilla or chocolate cream that is really sweet. It's almost too sweet. I like Boston Creme donuts, even though I know they are so bad for me. Well, not like any donut is really good for you! But it just seems like the donut, the chocolate icing, and the custard all really conspire against you. Since I missed Jelly Donut day in June, I'll share a funny story about Jelly Donuts here. When my Mom was pregnant with me, she and Dad were visiting his Grandma Primeau, who lived outside Montreal in a rural area. That evening, Mom started craving Jelly Donuts. Dad pointed out the closest place to get donuts was back in Plattsburgh, NY- about an hour and a half away. Great-Grandma Primeau immediately got on Dad's case. As a young girl/teenager in Montana, she remembered a baby being born that was inconsolable. She said the baby cried and cried all the time, so the doctor was sent for. When the doctor arrived, he asked the mother what she had craved during pregnancy. The mother said bananas. Which were hard to find in Montana in the early 1900's. The doctor gave my Great-Grandma money and told her to ride (her horse) until she found bananas. When she returned with the bananas, the doctor mashed them up and gave them to the baby and the baby stopped crying. Great-Grandma remembered that and felt women should always eat what they craved. Dad says she hit him with her pocketbook and told her to go get donuts. Dad is 6'3" and his Grandmother stood barely 5' tall I think. It's a funny image to picture her hitting him. Dad went to Plattsburgh and bought Mom jelly donuts. And do you know what? I've never liked jelly donuts!

1 comment:

  1. Actually I prefer jam filled donuts or just the plain ones with chocolate on top. I'm starting to drool ...

    ReplyDelete