Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Year of Blogging: September 11, 2011

We all know what September 11 is. If you want to know my 9/11 experience, you can read last year's blog. I'm not going to write about it again. This will also be one of my shortest posts ever. For this year, I'm just fed up. I'm fed up with the media onslaught 'Remember 9/11'. This does not make me any less of an American, or any less patriotic. I just don't see the point of rehashing it over and over and over. Uncovering new 'angles'. I've watched very little tv in the last few weeks because I just cannot stand the non-stop coverage. We don't need this assault by the media to remind us. We will never forget. In the same vein, I don't read newspapers or watch the news much at the end of the year. They stop covering actual news and do nothing but 'year in review' shows or articles. I'm not a fan. The world does not stop turning so you can rehash past events. A Cincinnati area family was among those who lost a loved one on 9/11. They have been interviewed by I think every tv station in the area this week. The father, who lost his wife, had a good point. He said something to the effect that our loss is no more significant than the loss any other family feels when they lose a loved one. The only difference is we have video documentation. I refuse to live my life in fear. I have enough issues to worry about, I do not need to fear where they might strike next. Be vigilant, yes. But if you live in fear then they have already won.

1 comment:

  1. I guess with ten years having passed this anniversary was probably meant to stand out. We had it on TV almost all day on almost all the channels here too. It's like WWII ... no one will ever stop mentioning it and remembering it, but the emphasis should be on learning from it and moving on.

    ReplyDelete