Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Year of Blogging: March 3, 2011

Today is 'If Pets Had Thumbs Day'. Imagine what they could do! I am pretty sure mine would find a lot of things to get into (more than they already do). Some things I think they would do:
~Onyx would be able to hold onto the boys as she dominated them. ~Cobalt would be able to actually climb the lower cabinets and get to the food on the counter. ~They would hop in the car and go to PetSmart when they thought we were running low on biscuits. ~They would have already written the Great American Novel. (Yes, they can type now, but they can't type for a long period of time. Thus they limit it to the annual Christmas letter.) ~No trash can would be safe from Cobalt ~Our phone bill would be large, because they'd be on the phone with their friends all day. ~Texting. ~They could pull the blankets over their heads. ~Each of them could actually hold their favorite toys while they sleep.
Of course, if they had thumbs, they might need me less. That would not be good, so I'm glad they don't have thumbs. Today is also my Dad's birthday. The man who bought Tonka trucks and steel Caterpillar bulldozers for his girls. He took us to baseball games, hockey games, football games, NASCAR races, concerts, and even a Monster Truck rally. He wore blue, green, pink and purple. Dad's rule is if his girls bought it, he'll wear it. We tested this rule time and time again by buying colors other men wouldn't be caught wearing. And Dad wore each piece. He tried to take us fishing. He never tried to take us camping (I think Mom decided that). When it was time for Laura and I to make our First Communion, we went as a family to JCPenney. In the end, Dad was the one who picked our dresses. He still managed to find dresses that fit our individual personalities- although my sister hated having to wear a dress, and a white one at that. He came to our concerts, plays, track meets, and award ceremonies. Dad stood next to us, his arm protectively around us as guys came near. And he drove us to college, carried our belongings up three floors, and gave us our wings. My Dad was my first hero. He remains my hero to this day. I am so proud of him. You can't pick your parents, but if I could, I'd still pick him. Happy Birthday Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure they can't do some of these things even without thumbs? In front of humans they probably just pretend to be thumbless dogs :-D !

    ReplyDelete