Monday, March 21, 2011

A Year of Blogging: March 21, 2011

Today is Fragrance Day. Perfume is not something I wear. Most perfumes are too strong for me, and send my allergies into overdrive. I found Vanilla Fields was mild enough to wear but I gave up wearing it years ago. I am one of the few women in my family who doesn't wear perfume. Each woman has their special fragrance- one that I associate with them. Aunt Vera wears Youth Dew. Grandma Wager wore Knowing. Mom wears many Estee Lauder scents- Knowing (when she wants to think of her mom), and Beautiful are the two she wears most. But mom's favorite scent is Chanel #5. Dad indulges Mom's love of perfume. Each year for Christmas, he buys her perfume. It is one of the sweet traditions they have. If he sends her flowers for her birthday in August, it's gladiolas. If he sends them for their anniversary in December, it is yellow roses. Gladiolas are the flower for August, and Mom loves them. She also loves yellow roses. And each year at Christmas, Dad goes into Macy's and walks up to the perfume counter. While some men may not know what to buy, Dad does. When I worked at JCP, I helped him out. On Associate night we were able to get 40% off everything. That made Chanel #5 extremely affordable! I do remember the first time Dad tried to buy Chanel #5 for her. He wanted to buy her the biggest bottle, and just about fell over when they told him the price. We had to explain to him that she doesn't use a lot at a time, and therefore, even a small bottle can last her at least a year. Dad usually asks me what mom wants for her birthday, or for Christmas. He lives in the same house with her, yet he asks the daughter who lives 700 miles away. He always does fine with the perfume. If he'd just pay a little more attention to other things mom says or does, he'd have it under control. While you might think only of perfume or cologne, there are plenty of other options for fragrance day. Scented candles are my choice. I love Yankee Candles, specifically the fall scents. Macintosh, Apple Cider, Cinnamon Stick. It gives the whole house a warm, inviting aroma. There are room sprays as well. Another favorite of mine is Febreze. It helps eliminate some of the funk that accumulates in the house when all the windows are closed up. If you can't handle candles, perfumes, or air fresheners, maybe you can get your fragrance fix from body washes and lotions. Even me-allergic to everything- has found something that works for me. Some scents I can't use because they make me sneeze, others may have citrus and makes me break out in a rash. But Vanilla works well. Currently I use Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar. It's at least the third vanilla line they've come out with. Thankfully, it hasn't been discontinued like the other vanillas. Someone once told me I smelled like cookies. I thought that was quite appropriate- given how much I enjoy baking! And everyone likes cookies!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not big on perfume myself. I'd rather go for the "lighter" versions such as Eau de Parfum or simply Eau de Toilette. And yes, I stick to my favorite ones such as Claire by Christine Kaufmann and as of lately Ruban D'Orange from L'Occitane. I like these fresh scents and truly hate everything that smells sweet. I'm sweet enough as it is :-D !

    ReplyDelete