Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Year of Blogging: March 27, 2011

Today is "Joe Day". The idea is that everyone who doesn't like their name can be called Joe. Apparently, the creators of this day thought everyone liked the name Joe, rather than Bob or Jim or Mike. So that's fine if you're a guy. Don't like Malcolm or Winston or Herman? Go by Joe. But what about the women, who don't like Amy or Jennifer or Keisha? Well, I guess we can choose Jo. Or Josephine. Joan, Joanne, Jody. I guess we have a lot of options. But it's a lot of work to go through for just for one day. Changing your name is not a pleasant task- ask any woman who has gotten married and taken her husband's name! I guess, if you don't like your name, today you can go by anything. Maybe just stick with 'Hey, You!'.

On a side bar, I have a funny Joe story. One of my father's best friends is named Joe. My parents were having a party at their house, and Mom was introducing Sydney to everyone. My parents have another friend named Mary. Sydney has met these people many times, but in the world of a preschooler, every time is the first time. Sydney had already met Mary that day, and then she met Joe. She asked if his name was Joseph, and he told her yes, that was his real name. Sydney goes to a Catholic pre-school, and she is very familiar with Mary and Joseph and Jesus. When she met both Mary and Joseph at my parents' party, she was amazed. Mom said Sydney's eyes got very wide, and she looked at mom & dad's friends, trying to take it all in. She already thinks my parents are the greatest thing next to ice cream covered in cherries; and to find out they know Mary AND Joseph-- I'm pretty sure it sealed their place in her eyes!

1 comment: