Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Year of Blogging: March 19, 2011

March 19 was National Quilting Day. I know a lot of people who quilt. My great-aunt Vera quilts. I have several friends who quilt. My great-grandmother Primeau quilted also. She made each of her grandchildren a quilt in the wedding ring pattern for their weddings. I remember when my youngest uncle got married, a few years after Great-Grandma died. When the happy couple opened their gifts, there was a quilt from his Grandmother. I remember the silence and tears that filled the room. I am in awe of people who quilt. Their creations are so beautiful, so meaningful. I love to look at quilts and imagine the stories behind them. While I do a lot of knitting, I can't sew. I can sew buttons back on shirts, but that is the extent of my sewing ability. My grandmother was a beautiful seamstress. It didn't get passed to the future generations. It's actually a bit of a joke in our family that the women cannot sew. When I was home in last month, my sister said something about 'we can sew this...' and was talking about making something for one of the kids or her home or something. I looked at her, then at my mom, and said 'who is this we?' Yes, we have great ideas for sewing, but someone else must do it! March 19 was also Poultry Day. We celebrated poultry day by having Parmesan Dijon chicken for dinner. I enjoyed the leftovers on my salad for lunch today!

1 comment:

  1. I'm absolutely useless when it comes to knitting, sewing, etc but I have to say I admire people who love doing this and create such wonderful things as quilts!

    ReplyDelete