Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Year of Blogging: October 12, 2011

October 12 is 'Old Farmer's Day'. It is a day set aside to honor those who work the land and provide food for the rest of us. It makes sense to honor farmers in October, as this is harvest time. During harvest they possibly even work harder, trying to get the crops in before winter settles over the land. Many of my ancestors were farmers. Most people were, before society became so mobile and started buying their own food. You grew gardens and raised animals to feed your family. Even my grandparents did a little farming. Mom's mother raised chickens, although they were gone by the time I came along. I remember Grandpa Primeau raising pigs. I think of what it must have been like for my Great-Grandparents; farming in the harsh climate of Upstate New York. The growing season there is about four months. The winters are long and cold. The area is mountainous, it's hard to find large tracts of land that are flat. Every year when Dad planted a garden, he said the best thing he grew was rocks. I remember as a child we would follow behind Grandpa's tractor in the potato field and pick the rocks out of the mounds of dirt. It seemed like there were always more rocks. When I think of the where my Great-Grandparents, and those who preceded them, tried to scratch out a life, I am amazed. They must have been amazing people. Strong, both mentally and physically. I have an incredible appreciation for them. Farming may be easier today with tractors and combines and automated milking machines. But in some ways, I think it is also harder. Or at the very least, just as hard. One hundred years ago, if your father was a farmer, you became a farmer. Now, children often don't want to continue the family business. It's hard to find people to help with the farm. If you sell your crops to others, you are at the mercy of corn, grain, or milk prices on the market. Farmland is shrinking, and one year of too much or too little rain could wipe out everything. It certainly isn't an easy profession, even in 2011. I don't know why today is 'old' farmers day. We should take today to thank all farmers- regardless of their age.

No comments:

Post a Comment