Monday, October 10, 2011

A Year of Blogging: October 10, 2011

October 10 is 'Angel Food Cake Day'. Angel Food Cake is a sponge cake. It originated in North America, and became popular in the US in the late 19th century. It was given the name of Angel Food Cake because it was said the airy lightness of it was the food of angels. Honestly, angel food cake isn't one of my favorites. It's ok as a substitute for biscuits for strawberry shortcake, but I would rather have the biscuits. For me, the texture of angel food cake just isn't very appealing. I have never made an angel food cake. Probably because it involves separating the egg whites from the egg yolks and then whipping the egg whites until they are stiff. Even though I like to bake, that is too much work. I do know that you are supposed to cut it with a serrated knife. Using a regular knife will compress the cake, not cut it. As for me, I much prefer angel food cake's counterpart- devil's food cake! But I've told you before most of the time, I'll choose chocolate over anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment