Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Year of Blogging: October 3, 2011

October 3 was 'Techie Day'. It's a day to appreciate and maybe even celebrate the IT department. They are the ones called when those of us less computer savvy people mess up our computers and see the blue screen of death. Of course, sometimes we call them for other purposes too. We have a 'Support' department at work. They fix the software and hardware problems. They grumble that they hate 'puters. I am fairly computer savvy, but I'm not a hardware person. There are times I do have to call tech support to fix my computer. I also am fortunate enough to have tech support at home. Erich is a techie. Although he's not a Windows guy. He prefers Linux (which I had never heard of until I met him). So if we have problems at home with the laptop, I usually go to work and ask our tech support for their ideas. Plus, they don't get as annoyed with me as Erich does. Somehow on the laptop, every once in a while I disable the touchpad. Which means you can't use the mouse. It's very annoying. I did it again the other night, and Erich had to come downstairs and figure out how to re-enable it. I was met with a lot of sighs and eye-rolling. October 3 was also 'Virus Appreciation Day'. Which seems odd. We don't want to appreciate viruses, they are evil. It's not clear if the viruses we are supposed to be appreciating are human, animal, or computer. But it makes you think perhaps a techie created this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment