Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Year of Blogging: October 15, 2011

October 15 was Sweetest Day. I had never heard of Sweetest Day until I moved to the Midwest. I'm not sure if it has gained popularity since I moved here, or if it's just more celebrated here than it is in other parts of the country. Either way, I feel the same about Sweetest Day as I do about Valentine's Day. My feelings can best be described as 'Bah humbug!' I believe you should be loving and caring to your spouse or significant other all the time. If you can't bring me flowers just because, or do something nice on a Tuesday in the middle of July; don't bother doing it on Valentine's Day or Sweetest Day. Be nice and caring because you want to be, not because Hallmark tells you to be. I guess it is also perfect that today is National Grouch Day. (Since some people might consider me a grouch for my feelings towards Sweetest Day). National Grouch Day was created by Sesame Street magazine as a tribute to Oscar the Grouch. After Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch has always been one of my favorite Sesame Street characters. He's certainly easier to deal with than that overly perky Big Bird! Some people suggest taking this day to recognize notable grouches. Others say to leave the grouches alone to wallow in their misery. I think it's just the perfect thing to celebrate instead of Sweetest Day! Even if you aren't someone who is always a grouch, we all have our moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment