Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Year of Blogging: October 18, 2011

October 18 was 'Alaska Day'. On October 18, 1867, the US purchased Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million. That amounts to less than two cents an acre! While the treaty was signed on March 30, 1867, the formal land transfer occurred on October 18. For most people in the US, Alaska is on our bucket list. It is someplace we want to go before we die. I have friends who have already been, as has Erich's Mom. My grandparents were fortunate enough to go before their health got so bad. Everyone says the same thing "You have to go". And I will, someday. I long to see moose and bears and Denali. I don't want to limit my trip to just a cruise from the coastline, I want to venture into the interior and explore. I'd also love to take the train through the Canadian Rockies. My grandparents did that, and the pictures are stunning. Obviously, this will be a trip of a lifetime, so it requires some saving. Right now I'm so busy running to NY that Alaska seems so far off. But I don't want to be too old when I go, so maybe I should start an 'Alaska fund' now. October 18 was also 'No Beard Day'. It's a day for men who have beards to shave them. I'm not a really big fan of beards, although Erich occasionally has one. They are ok if they are trimmed and neat, but if they are shaggy and unkempt, it is a real turn-off. My dad used to grow a beard in the winter to help keep his face warm. He looked very different with a beard. Although, he looks like a complete stranger without his moustache! My sister was in high school and she told him she didn't remember him without a moustache. So he shaved it. His face looked about 20 years younger, a stark contrast to the head full of white hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment