Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Year of Blogging: December 1, 2011

Another year is quickly ending. We are a month away from 2012. I just got used to saying 2011. December is one of my favorite times of year because it is smack dab in the middle of the Christmas season. In case you didn't already know, I love Christmas! I love giving to people, and seeing the smiles on their faces. Of course, it's also a busy time of year with the shopping, wrapping, decorating, and baking. I'm ahead of the game this year. Shopping is done, presents are wrapped and already delivered to NY. The cards will be going out early next week. The house has been decorated for a couple of weeks. That leaves the baking, and the knitting. And it also leaves me plenty of time to sit and just look at my Christmas tree. Interestingly, for being such a busy month, December does not have a lengthy list of things to celebrate for the month. While other months have had sometimes dozens of 'celebrations', I could only find a few for December. Maybe the creators of these holidays figure we have enough to celebrate this month. December is 'National Drunk and Drugged Driving Awareness Month'. That's a very timely reminder to us. It seems that most of my life I've heard about the dangers of drunk driving. I guess that is true, since MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) was founded in 1980. For some reason, this has always been a very personal thing for me. I have not lost a loved one to a drunk driver, and honestly I cannot explain why I feel so strongly about this issue. But I do. My parents raised us to have a designated driver. We grew up with their example. If we went someplace and Dad had a beer, Mom drove home. Mom and Dad told us, and our friends, if we had been drinking, or were with someone who had, we could call them at any time and they would come get us, no questions asked. We both had friends who took Mom and Dad up on that offer. I rarely drink, so I never have a problem with being a designated driver. But so many people still don't realize the dangers of drinking and driving. If you're going to drink, get a designated driver or call a cab. Doing so is not a sign of weakness. People might respect you more because you were responsible. December is also 'Bingo Month'. Bingo is fun for all ages. Sydney loves playing it. Although she does cheat, but that's ok. My sister and I always enjoyed playing Bingo. Gee, I wonder if that means I'll be one of those little old ladies who spends all day in the Bingo parlor? Can't you picture me- carrying a tote bag that says 'I'll be at Bingo' or whatever the catch phrase is? Hahaha! December is also 'Write a Friend Month'. That's pretty appropriate since we send Christmas cards to our friends. Going through my address book this year, I thought 'I haven't seen so and so in a few years'. Sometimes our lives get so busy, we don't have the time to hang out with our friends. While the art of writing Christmas cards has changed over the years, I enjoy receiving cards from each of my friends. Even if that's the only time I hear from them during the year, it's still a way for us to connect. December 1 is 'Red Apple Day'. Not a green apple. Today, you are only allowed to eat a red apple. We've all heard that 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'. We know we need to eat more fruit. So it's good to have this day in the midst of the season of indulgence. Today, instead of reaching for the plate of cookies, grab an apple. There are so many varieties, you're sure to find one you love. My personal favorites are Red Delicious apples, but I also like Gala apples. And of course, I have none in the house! Well, I'll add that to the shopping list. It would be much better for me to munch on an apple when I'm baking than to sample the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment