Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Year of Blogging: December 17, 2011

Once again, I'm a little behind. First it was the baking, now it's the knitting. Throw in a migraine or two, and blogging has been low down on my list of things to get done. Sometimes it's hard to believe that there's only a couple of weeks left on this project. And I've already got a lot of plans for the extra time! December 17 was 'National Maple Syrup' day. I feel like I've already written about Maple Syrup, but maybe I just feel that this day should have been celebrated in the spring, when the sap is running and it's time to make syrup. If this is a repeat, my apologies. Maple Syrup is one of my favorite condiments. Yes, I think of it as a condiment. After chocolate, I'd have to say my favorite flavor is maple. I put maple syrup on of course, pancakes, french toast and waffles. I cook sausage and bacon in maple syrup. If we have breakfast with hashbrowns, I put maple syrup on my hashbrowns. I like to bake with maple syrup. And I love maple syrup over vanilla ice cream. I am a maple syrup snob. I like the pure maple syrup, not the processed Aunt Jemima stuff. I also like to get my syrup from New York. Sure, Vermont is the biggest producer in the US of Maple Syrup. I know I've said before that my hometown is closer to places in Vermont than it is cities in New York. But when it comes to my syrup, it has to be NY. And I want the dark amber. It is the sweetest variety, and really tastes like liquid gold. It's also harder to make. Some years, there isn't any dark syrup. The years it is available, it is limited. I currently have a gallon that I'm savoring- 2011 was a good year! My mom works with a guy who has a sugarbush. This fall, my cousin married another maple producer. It's good to have certain people in your family. In my opinion, having someone who makes maple syrup is very high on the list! I should never have to worry about running out. If you need a maple fix, look up my cousin & her husband's farm- Platte Creek Maple Farm. They're on facebook! Take time to see how many ways you can enjoy maple syrup today.

1 comment:

  1. I still remember the first time I tried maple syrup - obviously vacationing in the US the very first time, I think I was 16 years old and went on a short trip to New York, Niagara Falls and Washington DC at Easter - and I absolutely totally irrefutably did not like it, yuck! Maybe if I tried it on hashbrowns I might change my mind about it, but I doubt it ;-) !

    ReplyDelete