Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Year of Blogging: December 22, 2011

December 22 was 'Date Nut Bread' day. I know this is a holiday favorite for many people. It's not something I care for. I like banana nut bread, and may even throw some walnuts into cranberry bread. I'm just not really a fan of bread that only contains nuts. On this day in 1864, General Sherman presented President Lincoln with Savannah as a Christmas gift. Sherman captured the city after his March to the Sea from Atlanta. Savannah had been one of the last major ports still open to Confederates. On December 22, 1900, the first Mercedes was delivered. Austrian racer Emil Jellinik commissioned the cars from the German company Daimler- Motoren- Gesellschaft. The car was lighter, faster, and sleeker than any car the company had previously made. Jellinik was certain the car would win races and people would buy them. He ordered 36 of the cars. In exchange for his large order, the company agreed to name the car after Jellinik's daughter- Mercedes. Hmm.. If only his daughter had been named Amy!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Date Nut Bread before, and neither have I heard of Emil Jellinik (then again, I'm not really into cars). An Amy-car? That'd be cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Amy-car would have a hood that resembled a big yellow beak. Like Donald Ducks. :)

    ReplyDelete