Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Year of Blogging: December 20, 2011

December 20 was 'Go Caroling' day. I have only been caroling once. When I was in high school, several of the churches in my hometown (there are five I think in the small town. Maybe more, I forget!) grouped together and went caroling around town. It is usually cold in December in Upstate New York, and frequently there is snow. The night we went caroling was no exception-it was cold and snowy. One of those nights you can't add enough layers. Afterwards, we went to one of the churches for hot cocoa. I don't remember why we didn't try it another year. Or maybe they did and I just didn't go. The caroling wasn't as much fun as it seemed to be in the movies. I've never had carolers come to my house. I don't think people really carol any more. We're all too busy with our own thing to go singing door to door in the neighborhood. In our neighborhood, we barely know the neighbors. We know Erich's parents, obviously, but that is about it. We know some of our neighbors names, and the rest we've made up names for them. I don't see any of us caroling. I won't be, because I'd have to sing in public. I have a rule about that. I don't do it! I sing alone. I rarely let Erich hear me sing. There's no way I'd sing in front of strangers. I'm curious though if there are places where people go caroling. Maybe my friends have wonderful experiences to share. I'd like to think the tradition hasn't totally disappeared.

1 comment:

  1. You know, this is something I only know from movies. I can well imagine that being outside all evening in the cold season will freeze off important body parts, brrr!
    Just a thought, maybe I should pop in "A Christmas Carol" to boost my festive spirit! Nothing beats Dickens at Christmas time!!

    ReplyDelete