Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Year of Blogging: December 31, 2011

December 31 is New Year's Eve. It's the last day of the year. Tonight is possibly the biggest party night of the year, regardless of your nationality. It's time to say goodbye to this year, and prepare for new beginnings. This is the last entry in this blog. My year-long challenge is complete. I have learned a lot from this experience. Perhaps the biggest benefit is that it has been a tremendous confidence booster. Before I started this blog, I was hesitant to let anyone read anything that I had written. Many of my friends, and perhaps some strangers, have read my daily musings, and have provided valuable feedback. I no longer feel the need to hide my writing, or my talents. I feel like I have come out of my creative shell and am ready for the world to accept me as a creative, talented person. Sure, I still have some doubts. I think the doubts will always be there. But I think this exercise is something I needed. I needed confidence. While my family and friends have always been supportive, this experiment gave me that extra boost I needed. I also learned that the things you enjoy doing shouldn't ever feel like a chore. If they feel like a chore, it isn't fun. I never want my writing, or my knitting, or any of my creative outlets to rank in the same category as scrubbing the bathrooms. So there were days I walked away from the writing. It's ok to do this. There may be writers who will argue with me. Maybe for them, walking away isn't the best. I found though that if I walked away for a day or two, the creative juices returned. I didn't resent the project. I still enjoyed it. Even though there were plenty of days that were curve balls and left me digging a little deeper into my creative pot to find something to write about. I had originally hoped to have my first book published by the end of 2011. Due to family issues, work commitments, and life in general, it didn't happen. I don't think of that as a failure though. Because I was writing. Maybe it was just a blog, but it was writing. And after years of not writing at all, it was a huge step forward. I am not a person to make resolutions. I don't have a lot of will power (if you've ever seen me with a box of chocolates or shopping in the yarn section at the craft store, you can vouch for that). I always felt that making resolutions was just setting myself up for failure. After a couple weeks, it's much easier to say 'I'm not going to work out today'. And then the next day you think 'what's another day going to hurt?' and then before you know it, your gazelle glider has been stored against your bedroom wall for months, and the only exercise it gets is holding your towels after your shower. I learned years ago to stop torturing myself with fake promises. That doesn't mean I don't set goals. I do. While there is a part of me that is sad to see this experiment come to an end, I am much more excited about the prospects for 2012. I have eluded to them periodically, so I guess it's time to let you in on my plans. A few weeks ago, a dear friend sent me a picture of a yarn ball wreath. It was a wreath, made out of various colors of green balls of yarn, with a pair of knitting needles stuck through a red bow. Very simple. She said I needed to make myself one of those. Something inside me kind of snapped, and a plan hatched. I started researching how to make them, and realized it would be a great way to use up the odds and ends of yarn that I have leftover from all my knitting projects. So I thought I'd make them for gifts for my mom, sister, and maybe aunt next year for Christmas. Then another dear friend asked if I would take orders, or maybe sell them online. The small seed that had been planted by friend #1 sprouted into a live oak tree, with branches extending in various directions. The idea was fertilized by my new found confidence. In the matter of hours, the idea went from making Christmas presents for family members to opening my own shop on Etsy to sell the wreaths. But it didn't stop at just the wreaths. I enjoy knitting, so why not make blankets to sell too? I've run out of people to make them for. Even though sometimes it is painful to do (but I've learned that just like my writing, it's ok to leave it alone for a day or two), I like keeping my hands busy. It's a great way to pass time in doctor's offices, or even as I'm watching TV at night. I had the day after Christmas off since Christmas fell on Sunday, so Erich and I went to Michaels. All yarn was on sale. Some was 50% off, others were maybe only $1 off. I bought yarn for eight projects. Some of the yarn they didn't have enough of for a full blanket, so I'll have to go back. I have enough to keep me busy for a while. I bought some baby soft yarn, some that is good for kids or teenagers, and some that will make beautiful blankets for adults. I filled the cart with yarn. Which really isn't saying much, because their carts are small. Between Erich (who has decided he's going to take up knitting also) and I, we spent $200. Which seems like a lot, but we did get some good deals. I need to create some projects, or 'stock', before I open the store. You have to have things to sell. I figure this may take me three or four months, so hopefully, my store will be open by my birthday. I did wrestle with my internal voice about selling the things I have created. I quieted her by telling her when the books get published, it would be the same thing. And yes, I know that my friends will be looking at the store, and that seems a little weird. I don't expect any friends to buy anything. I don't want them to feel obligated. If they find something they like and are moved to buy, that's wonderful. But I don't want my friends to think I'm going to start being a high-pressure sales person. I do hope they will share the site with their friends. As if the plans for an Etsy store were not enough, around this same time I was emailing my youngest cousin, Mike. Mike and two friends opened their own graphic design company earlier this year. They made up t-shirts with their company logo and were selling them. I like to support family, so I ordered one. And then I thought: graphic design, I know Mike's an artist, hey... So I asked if their company would be able to do illustrations for children's books. I've been wanting to write children's books for years, I already have the ideas and some of the books half written in my head. But I cannot draw. So that has been keeping the whole project from moving forward. Mike responded with the answer that further changed my plans for 2012: Yes! We still have to work out the details, which means I have to really get the characters down and figure out what I want. It felt like the missing puzzle piece had been found. And it was hiding right in the family! I plan to have at least the first of the books published next year. It will most likely be self-published, which I think is fine. I'm planning a whole series of books. The books are based on the adventures of two adorable beagles. Writing 101: Write about what you know! At the end of November, I had no real thoughts on 2012. I was hoping it would be better than 2011. I was hoping there would be no emergency trips to NY. I knew I'd be joining the family in Orlando for a week in September, and hope to drop a few more pounds by then. I also knew I really do need to start using my gazelle glider again, so I can build up my stamina to walk through amusement parks. And I was certain it would be a good year because it's an even numbered year and I will turn 36. I really dislike odd numbers, and it seems my best years are always the even ones. Then, within a matter of a couple of weeks, I have amazing prospects for 2012. I feel like I have a reason to get up every day. I am incredibly excited about these new ventures. Sure, I'm taking a risk. What if no one likes my crafts or my stories? I brush that doubt away with all the positive feedback I have gotten on the pictures of the various crafts I've posted on Facebook, and with the feedback provided by my friends on this blog. There is always risk. Life is a risk. I cannot remember the last time I felt so full of promise and excitement as January 1 approached. I hope each of my friends and family members will enjoy the same enthusiasm, and that each of you will have the best year! Remember, even though this blog is now closed, you can still keep up with me at my other blog (which hopefully I'll have more time to write on now). Thank you all for your support and encouragement throughout this project!

1 comment:

  1. Damn it ... just hit the wrong button and my VERY long text is history *grumbles*.

    Anyway, let's see how much I remember (old age, oh no) and start typing all over again:
    I feel as enthusiastic about the new year as you. It's like a clean slate when January first rolls around ... well, maybe not entirely clean, because there are some random scribbles already on it. Write more, procrastinate less. The creative process isn't always easy, more like taking care of a stubborn mule. Some days you need to lure him with a carrot and everything is fine, next day he kicks you and you feel the urge to bring him personally to the slaughterhouse. Fear not, this is all part of the deal, and ultimately it's what keeps the suspense (and the fun, hoho) in the whole process. Amy, I have enough confidence for both of us that your book will be great. And look, you've already found an illustrator too! Perfect! Now all you need to do is sit down and ... write! If you need a kick (or rather, your muse is a bit reluctant) let me know. I'm experienced in throwing carrots by now.

    Your Etsy project sounds fantastic too. It's kind of funny how we seem to be on the same boat when it comes to new ventures, because (and no, I'm not opening an Etsy shop myself) with my love for photography and my new Nikon (not to mention that nagging voice in the back of my mind) I plan to do something similar next year. Selling photo prints/canvases through a store like RedBubble (which seems the best choice so far). First, I need to play some more with my camera, but this is fun either way. And ultimately this is what it's all about. Doing something that we love and that consequently makes us happy!
    Here's to us!!

    P.S.: Can't believe I'll be 38 next year, ugh!

    ReplyDelete