Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Year of Blogging: December 21, 2011

December 21 is 'Humbug' day. It's a day to vent your frustrations during the Christmas season. We all have those moments. The holidays, like funerals, can bring out the worst in anyone. I have had humbug years. Christmases where I haven't been in a very festive spirit. This year is not one of them. I don't know if I'm making up for the humbug years or what. I just feel so full of the Christmas spirit this year. The tree has been up since early November, the shopping was finished around the same time, I've gotten in all my baking, everything is in order. The blanket will be finished- only about 12" to go, although tonight I was too tired to pick up my knitting needles. I delivered overfilled goodie bags to my coworkers, shipped a couple of boxes to friends (hopefully the post man will deliver them tomorrow), and tonight I took a care package of cookies, jam, and a casserole to another friend who is caring for her elderly and ailing father. On the drive home, I thought my Grandparents were smiling down on me. Mom told me that on holidays, Grandma Wager would fix plates of food and take them around to the various elderly housebound relatives. Mom always made sure neighbors and elderly in the community were taken care of. We were raised to help others. While I wasn't able to do as much with charities this year due to our financial situation here at Goofy Grape, I have still helped others. I've delivered smiles and given some people a bright spot at the holidays. It's a nice feeling. I am a little sad that in a week it will all be over. It feels like I've been preparing for Christmas for most of the year. In reality, it's only been a couple of months. I realized I only have a few more days to enjoy my Christmas tree. Well, I could enjoy it for months if I wanted to leave it up, but it will come down at the latest on New Year's Day. Most likely, it will be down before that. I have my humbug period when Christmas is over. When the gifts are opened and the excitement is gone, it is for me, a huge letdown. So I like to get my house back in order and prepare for the new year. It's ok if you want to have a humbug day today, just don't let it take root and ruin your spirit!

1 comment:

  1. My humbug day is today. Seriously. I'm not even close to anything that might qualify as a festive mood. Well, maybe after a good night's rest I will be all jingly tomorrow ;-) !

    ReplyDelete