Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Year of Blogging: April 9, 2011

April 9 was 'Name Yourself Day'. We've previously celebrated days like this, days to run away from your name. Maybe this is a big problem in the world? Are there a lot of people running around who dislike their name? If this were the biggest problem I had, I would consider myself very lucky. When we were kids, we used to ask our parents what they would have named us if we were boys. My mother always answered with Joseph Mark or Mark Joseph. My father gave us a different story, and made me grateful I was a girl. My father said they planned to name me Eimelheiser (pronounced ee mel hi ser) Doodledorf. I don't even know if I'm spelling that correctly. I have no idea where it came from. He said my sister was going to be Jerome Rickmeyer. I think it was just my Dad, being Dad. Whenever he would tell us this, my sister and I would share that look- the look that only we understand, and then erupt into giggles. Mom tells that when they were expecting me, they tried using a combination of our grandparents' names. They thought of Ruth Beatrice. Both Grandmothers said no. (Thank you, Grandmas!) . They also briefly considered Lewis Aubrey for the Grandfathers (in the event of a boy). Again, I have both Grandfathers to thank for the veto. Grandpa Wager (the Lewis in the combination) said that was a horrible thing to do to a baby! When you consider the names I could have had, I got very lucky with Amy. And hey, it's such an easy name that Sydney can already spell it. I think, I'll keep it. But feel free to change your name for the day! PS This is my 100th entry in this blog. I wasn't sure I'd make it this long. I had to stop looking at it as a chore, and know that it's ok to miss a day or two. I always catch up eventually! I'm kind of enjoying it now, even though some of the days are kind of lame.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it to post no. 100, girl!
    There really isn't anything wrong with catching up every now and then when time doesn't allow you to blog daily. As you can see, I kind of work my way through your blog as a reader on a more weekly than daily basis too. I usually make one day a week my Amy's Blog day :-) !

    ReplyDelete