Monday, April 25, 2011

A Year of Blogging: April 25, 2011

April 25 is Dyngus Day. It can also be spelled Dingus Day. I have never heard of this day, and was intrigued. It is a Polish holiday. Well, that could be why I've never heard of it. My ancestry is very mixed, but so far, I've discovered no Poles. Dyngus Day is always the Monday after Easter, and the idea is to have some fun after Lent. On Dingus Days, the goal of guys is to get girls wet. Guys chase the girls with squirt guns or buckets, or any other vessel containing water. Apparently some use cologne too. It is also common to gently hit ladies on their legs with switches or pussy willows. I did a little more research on this, and the sprinkling of water is a spring rite of cleansing. I get that. During mass on one of the Sundays in Lent (either Palm Sunday or Easter, my memory is so bad), I remember the priest sprinkling the congregation with water. The sprinkling of water and pussy willows are also viewed as rites of fertility. This water throwing day is a way to get the opposite sex to notice you, and perhaps, to meet your Ms. Right (or Mr. Right). The women get their revenge on Tuesday, when they throw dishes and crockery at the men. That seems even worse than throwing water! It doesn't seem very amorous. But I guess if it's all done in fun, it could be. I was surprised to find the 'world's largest Dyngus Day' celebration is held in .... Buffalo, NY. One website I found listed Polish phrases you might need to know for Dyngus Day. Included are 'how are you?', 'good day', 'let's dance', 'you're beautiful', 'lets get married', and 'I have a headache'. All very useful if you are looking for your mate! It does seem to be a day steeped in tradition (dating back to 966). A tradition like that should definitely be preserved and celebrated. Now if you'll excuse me, I must find some dishes to throw tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Never heard about this day either. We just call it Easter Monday and it's a public holiday. That's all I know about this day ;-) !
    I kinda like the "throwing dishes and crockery at men" part on Tuesday though *lol*.

    ReplyDelete