Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Year of Blogging: April 16, 2011

April 16 was National Eggs Benedict day. For those who don't know, eggs benedict are poached eggs served over english muffins, with canadian bacon or ham, and hollandaise sauce. It is sometimes served with caviar on top of the hollandaise. Eggs Benedict is considered an 'upper-crust' dish in some circles. A dish for the elite. I've never seen it served with caviar. There have been many times we've gone to breakfast and mom has ordered it, so I've never considered it a dish for the elite. I've always just thought it was gross. I don't like eggs. I buy eggs primarily for baking purposes. If they get to the expiration date and I haven't used the full dozen, I cook them as hard boiled, and then I have hard boiled eggs to put on salads or to share with the dogs. I never make scrambled eggs, omelets, or fried eggs. Sometimes, when I am home visiting my parents, I will eat an egg. Mom and Dad eat eggs a lot. Mom will scramble or fry eggs for Dad's breakfast. I'll eat one, but I usually regret it and am left feeling a bit queasy the rest of the day. I used to eat eggs as a kid. We had eggs every Sunday morning. One Sunday we would have pancakes and bacon and eggs, and the next Sunday would be french toast and sausage and eggs. My mother alternated because I preferred pancakes and my sister preferred french toast. I preferred sausage and my sister preferred bacon. So Sunday breakfasts were a compromise- the bread product to satisfy one child, the meat product to satisfy the other. But there were always eggs. I don't know when I stopped liking eggs. Sometime after hitting adulthood. I don't know why I stopped liking them. I just don't like them any more. I'm also not big on sauces, so the hollandaise sauce is a big turn off too. I guess if it weren't for the eggs and hollandaise sauce, I'd like Eggs Benedict. Of course, without the eggs and sauce, it's basically a ham biscuit. Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. And yet another thing we have in common. I don't like eggs either. While I will eat them when they've been used for eg making a cake, I kind of blank out this fact. Other than that I can only think of it as eating chickens-to-be and I am actually a bit disgusted.

    ReplyDelete