Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Year of Blogging: April 4, 2011

April 4 was, according to my calendar from the Dayton Daily News, World Pillow Fight day. Yet on Sunday, April 3, the news was reporting on pillow fights taking place in NYC because it was World Pillow Fight Day. I'm so confused! Was I supposed to have a pillow fight on Sunday or Monday? I guess it's a moot point, because I didn't do it either day. I fought with my pillows, trying to get comfortable as I slept. That's as much 'fighting' with pillows that ever occurs in my house. The first week of April is Library week. Very fitting, since we just had Children's Book Day. To continue our theme, April 4 was also School Librarian day. I went to two different elementary schools, and while I have vivid memories of one of the libraries, I don't remember the other. I am sure I visited both frequently, after all, they were libraries! I remember our librarian in Stephentown Elementary. It is possible though that I remember her because she was also family- she was my Grandpa Wager's first cousin. I think the role of librarian has changed quite a bit since I was a child. Our librarian helped us pick books, she showed us how to use the card catalog, and how to use research materials. I know most libraries have done away with card catalogs now (my college was phasing them out at the end of my four years), everything is computerized. Children probably do not know the Dewey Decimal system, nor do they have reason to. They can research materials using Google. And they can download books onto their e-readers. I would like to think the librarians are still important. That they are still holding open that door to other worlds for children, showing them how wonderful reading can be.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish we had a decent library here in town. One that opens up more often than fours hours on two day each week. Then again, with all my unread books ... oh well ;-) !

    ReplyDelete